Coordinating Committee Meeting Minutes
May 14, 2002
1. The meeting commenced at 5:30 pm at the Appleton Public Library conference room. Attending were Dave Rothmann, Ray Durkee, Rick Sawotka, Chick Fenlon, Donna Kidder, Ed Shannon, Dick Calder, Chuck Lewis, Tim Higgins, Don Sturtevant, Lisa Weiner, Ram Shet, Nancy Johnshoy, Carol Busey, Jerry Otteson and Jeff Knezel.
2. Jeff Knezel presented the financial report. Total fund balance at April 30, 2002 was $48,428. This amount will be reduced in May for payment of shipping for Pakistan shipment in the amount of $3247.
3. Jeff Knezel reported that the Pakistan shipment was in transit and that all paperwork had been sent to the Karachi Rotary Club. Jeff also reported that Dr. Richard Stoughton had notified him that he had contacted the Harare Dawn Rotary club in Harare, Zimbabwe, who indicated willingness to participate in receiving and distributing supplies. The initial contact person there is Lyall Wittstock (tel 091-252861) and e-mail (Lyall_Wittstock/CABS@cabs.co.zw). Following discussion, the Committee unanimously approved a 40' container shipment be sent to Harare as soon as packed gaylords are available.
4. Goodwill Industries has completed the move to their new warehouse facilities located at 1341 W. Spencer St., Appleton. The May 28, 2002 packing session will be held at this new location.
5. Donna Kidder reported that First Supply Co, our provider for picking up supplies, has changed personnel and may not be familiar and/or supportive of our Project. It was determined that an early meeting with the Appleton store manager should be scheduled to discuss their continuation of support to us. This service is very critical to the continuation of the project, so this meeting will be extremely important for our project.
6. Donna Kidder led a discussion on revising our Mission Statement, name change and marketing strategy. Following discussion, the following proposals are reported:
a. Revised Mission Statement.
"The (name of project) sponsored by District 6220 works Rotary to Rotary offering medical and other humanitarian supplies to improve the quality of life for people in developing countries."
b. Name Change
Proposed changing from "Southern Africa Medical Project " to "Sharing Around-the-world Medical Project "
The purpose of the name change is to reflect the more global nature of distribution of medical and humanitarian supplies while maintaining the familiar SAMP acronym.
c. Marketing Strategy
The primary thrusts of our marketing efforts will be focused on informing and educating the Appleton Downtown Rotary Club and District 6220 on the new mission statement and creating a renewed energy for supporting the Project. Emphasis will be given to soliciting all clubs in the District to (1) identify new sources of supplies and (2) identify additional developing countries with a Rotary connection for future shipments.
7. The next meeting will be Monday, June 17, 2002 at 5:30 pm in the Appleton Public Library conference room. The meeting adjourned at approximately 6:20 pm.
Jeff Knezel, Co-chairperson