Items of greatest Need
The greatest need today is the involvement of every club in District 6220. Remember
that "Real happiness is helping others" and this is a project that will
help many others. We need you to contact your local hospitals, clinics and doctors
and explain the project. Medical facilities have reusable medical supplies which
are filling our landfills.
It is important for medical care providers to recognize that it is easy to
help us collect these materials. You can set up collection bins for them. There
should also be a central storage facility at each location. Rotarians can help
in sorting and boxing the supplies to minimize time committments of medical
personel. When the medical supplies are ready, they will be brought to a regional
Goodwill location for final packing. Contact Mary Huller at Goodwill Industries in Appleton to arrange pick-up.
The SAMP Coordinating Committee will be responsible
to plan transportation to areas of need, duty free, to make sure there is
Rotarian and medical distribution system in place, and to achieve this at the
lowest possible cost.
Another way for Rotarians to get involved in this project is through financial
support. Our major cost item is for shipping the materials, which is
approximately $8000 - $9000 per 40 foot container, depending on the destination.
These costs are being covered through a combination of Rotary Foundation Matching
Grants and support from the District as well as individual Rotarians.
Medical Supplies we can Ship
Virtually any and all medical supplies have potential for salvage for recycling,
provided they meet any on the following criteria ( exception - no medicine or pharmaceuticals) :
- Items unused and unexpired
- Surpluses no longer in current use by an institution
- An item is open but all or a portion of it is unused and uncontaminated
- The item is used and capable of being reprocessed to insure its safe reuse
The following is a list is a guide to some of the more common and useful
- Gloves all sizes, sterile / non-sterile
- Sutures all sizes / types, opened / unused / expired
- Sponges all sizes / types, opened / unused / expired
- Pads all sizes / types, opened / unused / expired
- Tape all sizes / types, opened / unused / expired
- Bandages all sizes / types
- Elastic wraps all sizes
- Scalpels disposable, unused
- Syringes all sizes / types, disposable, unused
- Needles all sizes / types, disposable, unused
- IV tubing all types, unused
- IV catheters Venous / atrial, unused
- Catheters, gen. all types, unused
- Tubing all types, opened / unused / expired
- Orthopedic supplies from any procedure - unused
- Crutches, wheelchairs, canes, walkers, etc.
- Disposable surgical instruments - all types, unused or used, cleaned and
ready for sterilization such as:
- Suture holder
- Suture scissors
- Whole specialty sets and trays - unused
- X-ray film - unused
- Electrodes and leads - unused
- Patient care items - unused / cleaned for reuse
- wash basins
- water pitchers
- bed pans
- patient gowns, robes, etc.
- Blankets-new or used
Equipment We Can Use
Recycled medical and office equipment is very valuable. The equipment should be
in good working order and it is important to furnish maintenance and operation
manuals if possible. Any electrical equipment will need to be converted to the
electrical requirements of the accepting country and can be accomplished there
if a need is established.
The following is a partial list of equipment which is vitally needed:
Sterilizers or autoclaves Anesthesia induction equipment
Fetal monitors Ultrasound diagnostic equipment
Blood gas analyzers Surgical and orthopedic equipment
Defribillators Infant respirators
Coulter counters EKG machines
Microscopes Pulse Oximeters
Cardiac monitors Proctoscopes
Surgical lights Laryngoscopes
Suction machines Respirators Breathing therapy units Ophthalmoscopes & otoscopes
Electrofulguration, Bovi equipment Incubators / infant warmers
PLEASE NOTE: All equipment must be able to fit in our packing containers which
measure 40"high X 45"long X 371/2"high.
Items we Can NOT Accept
Prescription and non-prescription drugs and medicines and computer equipment
are not currently being accepted for shipment for the following reasons:
- Drugs and medicines are very difficult to handle due to expiration dates
and need for temperature controlled shipping.
- Computer equipment requires electrical conversion which this project is
not prepared to perform.
- Copywrited software presents significant legal issues.
- Very large pieces of equipment which won't fit in our containers. It is possible to ship them, but only in unusual circumstances to be determined by the project chair.
- Liquids such as saline solution, are difficult to handle, especially if
they must be stored in very cold weather.
- Carbon Dioxide or oxygen tanks. We are unable to store them and our storage
facility must pay to have them recycled.