Executive Director:

Jane Lang

Phone:

920 729-0244

Email:

Neenah Historical Society

Regular Mail:

P.O. Box 343 Neenah, WI 54956

Street Address:

343 Smith Street Neenah, WI 54956

Find us on Facebook

Historical Photos

The Downtown

Take a stroll through downtown Neenah in the 1960’s.

Clock Tower- Old City Hall

The Neenah Clock tower is the sole remnant of the original Neenah City Hall. It was designed by William Waters in the Romanesque Revival Style and was constructed in 1888. All city offices, including the police and fire departments and the school superintendent, were housed there. In the base of the tower, horse-drawn fire trucks were stored. In 1972, plans were made to raze City Hall, but a citizen effort led to the preservation of the 110-foot clock tower. The rest of the building was demolished in 1975 (Neenah Landmarks Commission, “Neenah Historical Tour”).

Houses

The Neenah Residence photos include homes on Wisconsin Avenue, Doty Avenue and Forest Avenue Neenah. The homes feature various styles of architecture including Queen Anne Revival, Italianate and Romanesque.

Retail Business and Downtown

Retail, manufacturing and churches of Neenah.

Industrial Buildings and Scenes

Industrial photos of Neenah: the collection includes Mhyer Blacksmith Shop, Smith and Proctor Flour Mill, Krueger and Lachmann Milling, Badger Mills, Menasha Woolen Ware, Kimberly and Clark Mills, Weickert Lumber Co. and Planning Mill and logging on the river.

Neenah Foundry

William Aylward Sr. began Aylward Plow Works in 1872. It was in the wake of the Civil War; the country was starting over and had a need for industry. Aylward Plow Works answered and began by manufacturing cast-iron plow blades, stoves, bean pots, barn door rollers and sleigh shoes. In 1904, the name was changed to Aylward and Sons and began to manufacture what the company is known for today, quality castings, which began with producing construction castings in 1904. In 1922, the company was re-named to Neenah Foundry Co. In 1928, Neenah produced their first industrial products, and in 1946, the first automated molding machines were installed and Hydro Slingers were added as an automated line. (Neenah Foundry, “History” http://www.nfco.com/about-us/history/)

Parks and Recreation

A collection of photos of Neenah Park and Recreation activities including swimming, sailboat races, kiddie Karnival, running, crafts, archery, tennis and more. The photos are from the 1950’s and 1960’s

Neenah Historical Collection on Flickr

Please click the link to see Neenah History’s photo stream on Flickr. Neenah Historical Society has over 7000 photos online.